DOT Secretary of Transportation Student RAISE Award
Pursuant to a recommendation by the Future of Aviation Advisory Committee, the Secretary of Transportation, through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), is announcing the fifth annual competition to recognize students with the ability to demonstrate unique, innovative thinking in aerospace science and engineering.
There are two divisions within the competition: a high school division and a university division (both undergraduate and graduate).
The Department of Transportation (DOT) intends to use the competition to incentivize students at high schools and universities to think creatively in developing innovative solutions to aviation and aerospace issues, and to share those innovations with the broader community.
Submission Deadline: June 1, 2018 11:59 pm Pacific daylight time
Nomination letter from at least one teacher, advisor, faculty member, and others as appropriate. The nomination letter(s) must communicate accomplishments in the following areas:
- Technical merit of the concept: Evidence of technical merit based upon teacher (parent or legal guardian in the case of home schooled applicants), advisor, or faculty nomination and evaluation of the submitted proposal, conducted research, written paper, results, and/or reports.
- Professionalism and leadership: Evidence of professionalism and leadership may be in the form of, but not limited to:
- Membership and offices held in various groups
- Presentations made to various groups, meetings, and at symposia
- Leadership in student professional activities
- Community outreach activities
- An overall summary of the innovation, not to exceed one page, which includes a title of the project, a one paragraph synopsis, and a statement of the potential impact that the innovation will have on the field of aviation or aerospace;
- A copy of the student’s academic transcript or certified grade report (as applicable);
- A copy of the paper(s) and related materials describing the innovative concept written by the student(s) being nominated (no page limit).
- Patricia Watts, Ph.D., Federal Aviation Administration, email@example.com
- James Brough, Federal Aviation Administration, firstname.lastname@example.org
AWARD APPROVING OFFICIAL: Elaine L. Chao, Secretary of Transportation.